In 1938, the Nazi government passed the German Weapons Act which restricted gun ownership to those whose “trustworthiness is not in question.” The legislation prohibited Jews from the manufacture or ownership of guns. This was in part a reactionary measure in response to Jewish leaders around the world declaring war on Germany, but nonetheless, it left German Jews defenseless. All are aware of the horrors that transpired afterwards. But Jews were not the only victims of gun control. Every major genocide of the last one hundred years saw the victim group officially disarmed first. Notable examples include: Ottoman Turkey (1915-1917), Soviet Union (1929-1945), China(1927-1976), Guatemala(1960-1981), Uganda(1971-1979), Cambodia(1975-1979), and Rwanda(1994).
Given that Jews are one of the most highly educated groups in America, with a 7-15 times overrepresentation among the Ivy League student population, and a 30-40 times overrepresentation among the top administrators, one would expect this history to be widely known and especially meaningful among the Jewish community. Shockingly, instead of vehemently opposing any attempt to dismantle their constitutional right to bear arms, Jewish Americans are actually the loudest proponents of gun control. In fact, almost every piece of gun legislation in America has been introduced or sponsored by Jewish Congressmen.
- 1968: Jewish Representative Emanuel Cellar’s Bill HR 17735 became The Gun Control Act of 1968, which was the most encompassing gun control legislation in American history.
- 1988: Jewish Senator Howard Metzenbaum intoduced two bills, S. 1523 and S. 2180, which would turn every violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 into a RICO offense and the latter to restrict “plastic guns.”
- 1990: Jewish Senator Herbert Kohl introduced the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990. The law was later ruled unconstitutional by the courts.
- 1993: Jewish Senator Howard Metzenbaum sponsors bill S.653 which bans certain semi-automatic rifles, and gives the government the authority to add various other semi-automatic weapons to the list at a later date.
- 1994: The Brady Handgun Prevention Act (Brady Bill) which requires background checks for the sale of firearms and waiting periods to buy handguns was written and sponsored by Jewish Congressman Charles Schumer. And introduced in the Senate by Jewish Senator Howard Metzenbaum.
- 1994: Jewish Senator Metzenbaum sponsored the Gun Violence Prevention Act of 1994 aka (Brady II), which died in Congress.
- 1994: Jewish Senator Dianne Feinstein and Jewish Representative Charles Schumer authored the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which was a provision of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.
- 1995: Jewish Senators Arlen Specter, Dianne Feinstein, Frank Lautenberg, and others introduce the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1995.
- 1997: The Lautenberg Domestic Confiscation provision, also known as the Domestic Violence Offender Ban, is added to Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act of 1997. This provision bans individuals convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence and those under a protection order from owning a gun.
- 1997: Jewish Senator Chuck Schumer introduces the Federal Gang Violence Act of 1997, which would have turned violations of the Gun Control Act of 1968 in RICO offenses as well as proposing harsher sentences for minor gun law violations, including forfeiture of property and mandatory sentences.
- 1999: Jewish Senator Barbara Boxer introduces the American Handgun Standards Act of 1999.
- 1999: Jewish Senator Herbert Kohl introduces the Child Safety Lock Act of 1999, which would require a child safety lock with the transfer of handguns.
- 1999: Jewish Senator Frank Lautenberg introduces the Stop Gun Trafficking Act of 1999.
- 1999: Jewish Senator Diane Feinstein introduces the Large Capacity Ammunition Magazine Import Ban Act.
- 2000: Jewish Senators Boxer, Lautenberg, and Feinstein submit the Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2000, which would create a national firearms licensing program. In 2001, the three Jewish senators submit a similar bill called the Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2001.
- 2003: Jewish Congressmen Feinstein, Lautenberg, Schumer, and Levin co sponsor bill S. 1774, which would continue the Undetectable Firearms Act of 1998.
- 2004: Jewish Congressmen Feinstein, Boxer, Schumer, and others propose legislation that would re-authorize the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban. The legislation also sought to prohibit the import of large capacity magazines.
- 2005: Jewish Senators Lautenberg and Feinstein introduce bills to reinstate the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act (1994 assault rifle ban)
Politicizing The Newtown Shooting
Immediately after the tragic Newton school shooting, droves of Jewish Senators, Congressmen, and lobbyists began demanding strict gun control. Jewish Senator Diane Feinstein said that she would introduce an assault weapons ban bill on the first day of the new Congress. “It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession, not retroactively, but prospectively,” and ban the sale of clips of more than ten bullets, Feinstein said. “The purpose of this bill is to get… weapons of war off the streets.”
Jewish Representative Charles Schumer said that he would introduce an assault weapons ban in the House as well, which would also put restrictions on “mentally unstable people” purchasing guns. But who is to determine which American is mentally unstable? The government of course. And since the list of mental illnesses has expanded faster than the list of federal laws, the Schumer assault weapons ban could prohibit as many as 20% of all Americans from owning weapons.
Jewish Senator Frank Lautenberg also said that he would introduce legislation banning high capacity magazines in the new Congress. Jewish Senator Joe Lieberman reportedly told CNN that, “If the president can do something now by executive order, God bless him.” Lieberman publicly supports an assault weapons ban and the formation of a commission on mass shootings.
The Jewish mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, demanded that Obama take action on gun control after Sandy Hook. The Washington Post wrote an article titled: Michael Bloomberg’s one-man crusade for gun control. During the 2012 election cycle Bloomberg spent millions to defeat pro-gun candidates. On Piers Morgan’s show, Bloomberg said, “I don’t understand why police officers across this country don’t stand up collectively and say, ’We’re going to go on strike. We’re not going to protect you unless you, the public, through your legislature, do what’s required to keep us safe.”"
According to the Jewish Journal, “In the wake of the shooting rampage in Newtown, Conn., Jewish groups are looking to build alliances and back legislation to strengthen gun control laws.” The Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism is now assembling a coalition of Jewish groups to limit the Second Amendment by lobbying for strict gun control.
After the Sandy Hook shooting, the Anti-Defamation League claimed that it long been an advocate for strong gun-control legislation. The Jewish organization published the following statement on their website: “Since 1967, ADL has favored expanded federal and state regulation of the sale and transfer of firearms and other dangerous weapons…… We firmly believe that one way to limit the power of extremists and reduce violence in our communities is to enact tough, effective gun control legislation.”
The B’nai B’rith International demanded the reinstatement of the assault weapons ban. And the Jewish Council for Public Affairs circulated a petition throughout the Jewish community in America calling for “meaningful legislation to limit access to assault weapons and high capacity ammunition magazines, aggressive enforcement of firearm regulations…..”
The Orthodox Union said they were working for gun-control measures. The organization’s executive director said they, “We’re prepared to support legislative initiatives to make sure this won’t happen again.”
In addition the National Council of Jewish Women also announced its support for new, aggressive gun-control legislation. The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism and the Conservative Rabbinical Assembly also called for the ban of assault weapons, longer purchase times, more sever background checks, coding ammo, and banning online sales of ammunition.
It is unquestionable that Jewish Americans widely support gun-control. According to the Jewish newspaper Hareetz, “Americans in general may be divided about gun control, but Jewish Americans are not. They have always been among the most enthusiastic advocates of legislation that will regulate gun ownership…” That, of course, is not to say that all Jews support gun control. In fact, there is a group called Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership which nobly campaigns for gun rights. But Jewish gun advocates are few and far between. Most wealthy and powerful American Jews fervently support gun-control, and they are making their voices heard in the mainstream media, where the vast majority of media executives and owners are Jewish.
What Does Jewish Support For Gun Control Mean?
Most Americans inaccurately believe that the NRA is the most powerful lobby in Washington. The gun lobby is certainly powerful, but it is not in the same league as the Jewish/Israel lobby. The success rate of the NRA is impressive, but it pales in comparison to the Israel/Jewish lobby. One element of the Jewish lobby, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), has achieved almost every single major foreign policy objective set forth over the last three decades, despite getting caught red-handed spying on America for Israel. According to Republican Senator Chuck Hagel, every time AIPAC demands that Senators sign a position letter, they get 80-90 signatures. Every President and most major politicians over the last two decades have attended the annual AIPAC conference on more than one occasion. In addition, most serious presidential contenders in America now visit Israel before launching a campaign. The NRA certainly doesn’t have that kind power.
To put this in perspective, in 2012 the NRA gave just over $1 million in political contributions, spent $2.2 million on lobbying, and $18 million in outside spending. According to the Washington Post, Jewish Americans contribute about 60% of the Democratic Party’s total campaign contributions every year. In 2012, that percentage would equal $289,340,179 for the House, $181,772,199 for the Senate, and $429,645,192 for the Presidency—totaling almost $1 billion. This, of course, completely neglects the lobbying money. If these numbers sound outrageous, then consider that 36% of America’s billionaires and 45% of its forty wealthiest citizens are Jewish. Just one Jewish special-interest donor, Sheldon Adelson, spent $98 million during the 2012 election cycle. Adelson is a Republican contributor of course, but big Jewish Democratic contributors George Soros, Haim Saban, Michael Bloomberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Goldman Sachs, etc… also contributed millions each.
The last time Jewish Americans rallied around an unconstitutional domestic policy initiative (Obamacare), they achieved a magnificent victory. Every single one of the 13 Jewish US Senators (13% of the total senate a 6.5 times over-representation to their proportion of the population) voted for Obamacare, and their votes carried the day in the Senate. All but one of the 26 Jewish Representatives voted for Obamacare as well, and their votes also carried the day in the House, where the bill was decided by a margin of only 5 votes.
After its enactment, Obamacare was immediately challenged by several states and individuals. The final arbiter of freedom in the land, the US Supreme Court, was set to determine the outcome, and it was that final battleground where Jewish Americans truly paved the way for the health care individual mandate. The three Jewish Supreme Court Justices: Stephen Breyer, Elena Kagan, and Ruth Bader Ginsburg all ruled in favor of Obamacare. Together they comprise 33% of the Supreme Court, which is a 16.5 times over-representation to their proportion of the population.
Obamacare is probably a good predictor for the future of gun control in America. After all, what could be more unconstitutional than forcing Americans to buy health insurance? If the Jewish lobby could achieve that objective, then an American’s right to defend himself and his family from all enemies, both foreign and domestic, doesn’t seem to stand much of a chance. Especially not in the face of an even more unified and powerful Jewish contingent.
Update: Jewish US representative Steve Israel has called for a ban on 3-D gun printing and will author legislation to that effect.